Digital Project Manager - Paperless NHS
Assessing the problem & impact
Re-energising and re-focusing change and project management functions is no easy task. It may be that up-skilling is required, a new approach to change needed or the broad rationalisation of a project portfolio.
As a late adopter of electronic recording, this Midlands based Trust were at risk of being fined c£130k per month as their first implementation attempt had failed. A successful new digital maternity system, along with the roll out of Trust-wide new digital devices (mobile working), was needed to remove this costly risk.
The challenge & our solution
We provided John, an expert IT PM, who initially scoped the as-is which was eye opening. Their outsourced IT provider had done more harm than good with their botched implementation. For example, poor messaging encryption, incorrect coding and wrong domain names resulting in failed interoperability.
John quickly re-scoped the plans and set about leading the new-look project, engaging fatigued stakeholders on the way.
One of the key issues with projects like this can often be the lack of transfer of learning to ensure the change is embedded, and effective, long after Practicus and its practitioner have gone. John ensured a solid training plan formed part of the project, and delivered that himself on site before closing the project.
- A fully implemented maternity system across community and acute within 5 ½ months, down from the projected 9 months
- Completed roll-out of new mobile technology to entire Trust workforce within same 5 ½ months
- £30k CIP savings in first year, increasing to £50k per annum thereafter
- Bank staff costs reduced by £14k per annum
- Releasing time to care - admin time cut for Midwives from 2hrs to 20mins average
- Reduction of 10% in DNA’s
- Safety - the ability to now provide a) real-time updates on patient results, b) prompts to complete information logging within required time scales and c) intermittent check-up time alerts based on condition to provide faster and effective care.
“John is a safe pair of hands who has delivered a large scale IT project across Acute & Community Health within tight deadlines. He took the project from start to end and left us with a truly paperless solution that works well. John will get things done to a high standard and always on time”
Head of Programme Management